Sausage Egg Muffins – A Quick Breakfast Option —————————————————————————-
Some weeks are just crazy. These keto friendly ” sausage egg muffins” are an awesome grab and go breakfast! Easy to make, and a shorter bake time than my breakfast casserole these are a great breakfast option for those crazy busy weeks.
Whether it be juggling family, the gym, work, all the above, or perhaps an entirely different situation, some weeks are just difficult to get through. This week was one of those for me. Between jugging work, family, a dear friend’s wedding, a very loved niece’s birthday party, and planning a trip out of town to go see a new nephew, this week has definitely not been boring.
On those crazy weeks easy meals are a must, and for me an easy breakfast is required. Knowing I was going into a crazy week I decided to try a simple breakfast meal prep, and it was an absolute life saver!
I started by preheating my oven to 350° F ,and began cooking a pound of sausage in a cast iron skillet, stirring and chopping it into smaller pieces as it cooked. While it was cooking I cracked some eggs into a bowl and added some heavy cream. I then added salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, and whipped the eggs until everything was well blended and the eggs were a little frothy.
Once the sausage had finished cooking, I spooned the sausage evenly into a greased twelve cup muffin tin. After that I sprinkled some green chilis on top, and poured the egg mixture over the sausage and green chilis, filling the tins about two thirds of the way full.
“This needs something else,” I thought to myself, and after a very brief moment of thinking I knew exactly what these muffins needed. Cheese. Me being the cheese lover I am, I couldn’t believe I hadn’t thought of that sooner! After sprinkling some cheese on top, these sausage egg muffins were complete and ready to go in the oven.
I baked my muffins for about twenty five minutes until the edges began to brown and the middles of my muffins were firm.
Once done I let my muffins cool, then put them in an airtight container in the fridge.
The next morning, I woke up when my alarm went off at 4:24, and got out of bed. I prepared my morning pick me up which consists of a cup of black coffee, then a killer protein shake made with some almond milk, collagen, creatine, and of course my absolute favorite protein powder. Jocko Molk.
If you’ve had it you know why I’m obsessed with this stuff! I believe I have heard Jocko claim you can accomplish a 1000 pound deadlift if you’re on this stuff and after one taste I think I believe him! 🙂
After I had drank my morning coffee and protein shake, I headed out to work out without feeling rushed as I often do, knowing my breakfast was waiting in the fridge and could easily be eaten on the go. As I got into my workout, and realized I now had the time I went ahead and added a couple extra accessory exercises to my routine. Not only was I able to now have an even more satisfying workout, I was also able to tackle some housecleaning I was needing to do, and did some work on my website! It was amazing how much more time I had created for myself by taking a little extra time to make these simple egg muffins!
Needless to say these are going to be a regularly made recipe from now on, and will definitely be kept on hand!
Egg Muffin Variations
The sky really is the limit with these! Add any of your favorite breakfast toppings such as olives, bacon bits, or spinach!
If you’re trying to lose weight and keep your calorie count down, you can also do a leaner sausage such as turkey or chicken. There’s no end to the flavor combinations you can come up with!
If you liked this recipe and would like to help support Rocky Mountain Baking, use the links in the above article to make your purchases. As an affiliate marketer we receive compensation for any purchases made through these links or links in our other articles, and these purchases will help us to keep our content free for all.
Sausage Egg Muffins
- 1 pound Uncooked Breakfast Sausage (Pork)
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1/8 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Green Chilies
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease a twelve cup muffin tin.
- In a skillet cook your sausage, stirring and breaking it up into small crumbles. Cook it until well done, and some of the pieces are a little crispy on the edges.
- While cooking the sausage whisk together your eggs, cream, and spices until well blended and the mixture is a little frothy.
- After the sausage has been cooked, spoon the sausage into each muffin tin dividing as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle your green chilis over the sausage, then pour egg mixture over the sausage and green chilis filling the tins about two thirds of the way full.
- Add a large pinch of cheese on top of each muffin, then bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges have began to brown and the muffins are firm to the touch.
- Eat hot, or let them cool and store in an airtight container for a quick breakfast!